Thread: Is ubuntu 20 really pink?

Beans

Is ubuntu 20 really pink?

It is one thing to use colors like violet or blue to give a retro and modern style and another very different thing is to have abused the pale pink color.

https://i.ibb.co/MpHwZJH/20200426-172350.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/7GN0Q8m/Captura-de-...6-17-30-04.png

https://i.ibb.co/X787gLh/Captura-de-...6-17-31-08.png

The access screen is pink, the contrast of controls such as the radios and selectors are pink, the icons of images and documents are pale pink, i think the new style of ubuntu 20 is not bad, but I think that the colors reflect the tastes of a person or a group of people that we are not all, it is as if I made a design loaded with yellow, maybe not everyone likes it.

Is there a way to change the color of the login screen? I am really ashamed to authenticate myself in ubuntu, when I enter it looks all pink (only the white flowers are missing) and when I enter it it is seen in a dark theme with green and orange tones.

If people like pink, that's fine, but I have my personal tastes and I don't like pink. Why do they not allow this type of thing to be changed? For example, in Windows you can use a background image or change the color palette of the system windows in general, in Mac it is not necessary because they are cleaner, they use white and grays to be more generic with the tastes, but ubuntu abused too much with the colors in this version, not all of us have the same tastes.

In ubuntu mate the green is very strong and in manjaro the colors are a bit more sober, but I like the combination of colors and style of deepin and chrome os.

Can someone tell me how to change these aberrant system colors without causing problems when wanting to get updates?
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 26th, 2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Reduced large images to hyperlinks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is ubuntu 20 really pink?

The Art & Design sub-forum where you posted is a bit of a neglected backwater. I've moved this to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat where you are more likely to get responses.

Quote Originally Posted by WHK View Post
    Is there a way to change the color of the login screen? I am really ashamed to authenticate myself in ubuntu, when I enter it looks all pink
    Pink? Perhaps you need to adjust your monitor. On my system the login screen for 20.04 is the same purple that Ubuntu has used for years.

Edit: while I was posting you edited your post to include large off-site images. Please don't do that. It is inconsiderate of those who use mobile devices to browse the forum. If you wish to include images, please use the paper-clip icon to upload them to the forum. That way you get clickable thumbnails. Ive reduced your images to hyperlinks.

By the way, the colour you are complaining about in your images looks purple to me - on my monitor.
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 26th, 2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Yes, I've been working with color hex codes a lot this week and this color is clearly achieved from equal or near equal data in the red and blue fields. It's purple by definition.

I've been using Mint for about 2 years now but I've been an Ubuntu user about ten years before that and that purple has been around for a while. I always disabled the splash screen because I like to see boot info. I don't remember the lock screen ever bothering me, of course that can be replaced as well.
    ryanthomas.org | Mint MATE 21 | AwesomeWM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The colour Ubuntu has used, since they stopped using the earth-tones palette about a decade ago, is light aubergine: HEX #77216F (along with the orange, of course). I agree with coffeecat that if that looks light pink to you then your monitor is not displaying colours accurately.

For the other part, there are a bunch of login screen themes for a bunch of display managers. It's easy to pick a non-default one.
    Last edited by CatKiller; April 27th, 2020 at 12:02 AM.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by WHK View Post
    ...when I enter it looks all pink (only the white flowers are missing) and when I enter it it is seen in a dark theme with green and orange tones.
    I have to admit that reading this line of yours is still placing a smile on my face.

Now, concerning your question, I guess that this is what you are looking for:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1227...round-in-20-04

and especially this one:
    some of the content:

#lockDialogGroup {
    background-color: #4f194c; }

so, if your change the color hex to your liking, it might change. I haven't tested it though.

Regards!

Beans

You really need to know how to program and package resources to change a simple background color.

go to this for complete flexibility Workaround 1. But risk of breaking the system if wrongly edited the contents.
    Ok xD, i don't know why something that should be simple like changing the background color of the login screen can end up ruining the entire operating system, but that's fine. To extract the css and change the rgb value of the color sounds easy, I already have, but to pack and apply it sounds quite complex xD, I think it will take a little longer.

Beans

Ok, reading tutorials, reading about how to extract, list resources, how to compile, how the update-alternative works for the compiled theme resource, directories, etc, from archlinux wiki (have a best documentation, more than ubuntu), and i made a script to make it easier for the template developer to extract and publish themes, it took longer to read than to do the script, but here it is:

https://github.com/WHK102/gnome-shell-3-helper

I still do not understand why the gresource command can only extract one resource at a time, it is as if from the unzip command I could extract from a single file, it is crazy, I do not know who can think of these barbarities.

Ubuntu should have an application with official support that is capable of navigating the themes published in gnomelook and these in turn deliver the information through rest api services, so that users can install modifications with a single click, or integrate a Basic panel for modifying custom themes, something like a custom sandbox in real time.

In terms of design, use of modern technology and end-user satisfaction, it lags far behind. For now I had to switch to the Faenza icon theme with Adapta for Gtk. Tomorrow I will try to unify everything in a single theme.

Still, thanks for the help.
    Last edited by WHK; April 27th, 2020 at 08:31 AM.