Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Dell 3000cn with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Dell 3000cn with Ubuntu

Your post fixed my printing problems with my Epson R220, could not get it to work until I read you post.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Beans

Well, sorry for my English (I'm spanish), and forgive the delay in replying.

I'm using Kubuntu and we have in our job a DELL 3000cn. I was fighting with Kubuntu about way for printing my notes in color.

I follow your first post, but I hadn't anything such as Color LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS in the KDE -> System Preferences -> Printers menu.

Nevertheless, this special printer APPEARED when I connected to CUPS via Web => http://localhost:631

Simply add a new printer and specify a name for it, select AppSocket/HPJetDirect like Connection, give the URI: socket://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100 in example (changing the "x" by printer IP) and select HP as manufacturer in the next stage. Click next and HP Color Laserjet Series PCL 6 CUPS appears. In my example is the last printer from the HP Color Laserjet models.

I don't know why this model appears in CUPS web mode but it can't finding in the KDE printer menu.

Greetings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

are you saying you got this piece of **** printer to successfully print color documents that are correctly aligned???

i am skeptical... Dell has been tremendously unhelpful... the employees seem to have nothing but contempt for Linux...

i am thoroughly disappointed in Dell and will not purchase from them unless there is a truly compelling reason to do so...

Dell follows Microsoft's ****** business practices it seems – they care more about money than satisfied customers

Beans

I agree with you: Dell seems a typical "only works in Microsoft Windows" bla bla bla.

It's very strange. I was printed only a color document (with ONLY one page) and works fine. You have to configure it for printing in 600 dpi, in another way doesn't work for me.

But when I try to printing a medium-size doc (about 20 pages), printer doesn't work. I was trying this about jan 3, so when my boss going to have breakfast (I'm a work-study in an University), I'll try again.

Greetings!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Hi all,

I just wanted to update this thread with information for Gutsy. The steps are all pretty much the same, just the dialog boxes are a little bit different.

To get it working in Gutsy, once you have finished following the steps above, go to Control Center-->Printing (its in the Hardware category)-->Select the printer under the Local Printers menu-->Go to the printer options tab-->Change the output resolution to 600DPI.

Now, I have trouble printing large documents even from Windows to this printer (it runs out of RAM occasionally), so I would send things a few pages at a time. Besides that, the printer works a lot better under Gutsy than it did in Feisty for me at least.

Also, this is from a clean install of Gutsy.

Enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Don't know why you are complaining about Dell - the key piece in the puzzle when configuring the 30000cn is to make sure you have - and it was mentioned several times before - configured the printer for 600dpi (300dpi, which seems to be the default, produces a small test page, with the printed area restricted to the upper lefthand corner of the page - while setting it to 600dpi gives the perfect result for printing the test page.

The HP driver works fine, but it would be nice if someone, preferably Dell, posted a driver for the printer.

StevenB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

BTW: If you complain about Dell's allegiance to MS, then what about their supplying Google with the Google GSA (Google Search Appliance)?
    Dell isn't all that bad - it's just that they are new to the Linux market, and started off on the wrong foot with Redhat. Hopefully, demand from the Ubuntu community will change that.

StevenB

Beans

You have reason, maybe Dell it's a newbie in this world of free software.

I hope Dell compile its drivers for a better Ubuntu compliance in the future.

Greetings!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, don't be too hard on Dell as they've announced their support in the future for Linux. To expect a lot of support on older drivers might be a bit much, but to put an older driver in the public domain is not. Honestly, the people at Ubuntu or Debian should get in bed with Dell a bit to convince them that in no way does porting drivers with open source have a impact on their business other than possibly increasing it.

I have this printer too ... and under Linux ... unacceptable performance ... so a tiny Windows partition somewhere with the supported driver there ... when I need total compliance ... is not too much to expect ... I guess ... sigh ...

Beans

If the printer is printing just into the left corner, just change the res to 600dpi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast